there is really nothing in the world i identify with as much as party cat
- Teacher: Why did you not study?
- Me: A year has 365 days for you to study. After taking away 52 Sundays, there are only 313 days left. There are 50 days in the summer that is way too hot to work so there are only 263 days left. We sleep 8 hours a day, in a year, that counts up to 122 days so now we're left with 141 days. If we fooled around for only 1 hour a day, 15 days are gone, so we are left with 126 days. We spend 2 hours eating each day, 30 days are used in this way in the year, and we are left with 96 days in our year. We spend 1 hour a day speaking to friends and family, that takes away 15 days more and we are left with 81 days. Exams and tests take up at least 35 days in your year, hence you are only left with 46 days. Taking off approximately 40 days of holidays, you are only left with 6 days. Say you are sick for a minimum of 3 days, you're left with 3 days in the year to study! Let's say you only go out for 2 days... You're left with 1 day. But that 1 day is your birthday.
Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. “Wouldn’t you say,” she asked, “that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?” No, I said, I wouldn’t say that. “But what about ‘Basketball Diaries’?” she asked. “Doesn’t that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?” The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it’s unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.
The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. “Events like this,” I said, “if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn’t have messed with me. I’ll go out in a blaze of glory.”
In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of “explaining” them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.
I have spent a good many years since—too many, I think—being ashamed about what I write. I think I was forty before I realized that almost every writer of fiction or poetry who has ever published a line has been accused by someone of wasting his or her God-given talent. If you write (or paint or dance or sculpt or sing, I suppose), someone will try to make you feel lousy about it, that’s all.
Yay!!!!! The three musketeers with gene Kelly, Lana turner, Angela landsbury has arrived at last!!! So excited!!!
This makes me so SAD!!! I love this program soooo much!
Waahhh — Merlin is ending, and also that unicorn is not looking so good. At least the show’s creators are promising a “breathtaking” series finale.
- My Brother: Is it illegal to expose yourself to a blind person?
- My Brother: Why is it called a building when it's already built?
- My Brother: If money doesn't grow on trees, why do banks have branches?
- My Brother: When something is shipped by ship it's called cargo, but when something is shipped by car it's called a shipment...
- My Brother: If love is blind, then why is lingerie so popular?
- My Brother: Why is impediment so hard to say when used to describe someone who has a hard time talking?
- My Brother: What's the speed of dark?
- Me: -awake forever trying to figure out all the answers-
The way the Tower fell was scary Look, it didn’t just break off, it crashed down as if it was a domino effect, floor by floor. There were people in that building. Take a moment out of your day and reblog this for the people who saved lives that day and for the poor souls who didn’t make it.
By EmmaBeth (2010)
My excitment is bubbling,
It’s ready to explode!
My feet just wanna dance,
Dance to the rhythm of my heart.
Time is going by so slowly
Minutes feeling like hours
My mind begs the clock hands to move
Like Matilda with her finger.
Page 1 of 2